Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Easy, low fat, veggie lasagna. NO tomatoes or tomato sauce. I came up with this as an answer to my DH's love for lasagna and a healthier alternative.
- 8 ounces whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (shredded)
- 1 cup mushroom (chopped)
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli (thawed and excess water removed)
- 16 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 16 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil lasagna noodles according to directions on box.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt butter for 30 seconds in a microwave oven.
- Add flour and stir until mixed.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook in microwave on high for about 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes until thick.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Saute onions, carrots and mushrooms in cooking spray until tender.
- Add drained broccoli and cook until warmed through.
- Mix cottage cheese and ricotta cheese with egg substitute, cornstarch and Mrs Dash seasoning.
- Pour 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of a 9X13 pan.
- Layer 3 noodles with 1/2 of cheese mixture, 3/4 cup of mozzarella, 1/2 of veggie mixture and 1/2 cup sauce.
- Repeat layers ending with noodles.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
- Be sure to cover noodles completely with sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until warmed through.
Nobody would believe that this is so low in fat! It's so creamy and cheesey! I made this exactly as written but instead of 2 tbsp. Mrs. Dash, I used a combination (to equal 2 tbsp) of salt, garlic powder, oregano and basil. This will definitely satisfy your cheese fix without a load of fat. I'll be making this again for sure. Thanx for sharing this!
We were very happy with this dish. I didn't have Mrs. Dash, so I used another garlicky seasoning blend. My DS didn't love the texture of the FF ricotta, but the adults didn't have any issues. Overall a great recipe that would be nice on a weekend. I probably won't tackle it again after a long work day, however we will be having it again.
What I great-tasting veggie dish! I'm used to the purchased vegetarian lasagnas, but this one is every bit as good, in my opinion! Vegetarian friends of mine will certainly appreciate this one, & I'll be making it again & again! Many thanks!