Recipe by Manami
The original recipe for this came from Better Homes & Gardens and it has been tweaked, as well. A great comfort food! ;) I have been meaning to update this recipe, for about three weeks now. UPDATE: I used reduced-fat chive & onion cream cheese (tub style), used sharp cheddar instead of the regular cheddar (that too, can be reduced-fat), for the salsa I used one of two Pace Salsa's - the Orgaanic Picante Salsa which I already had and Pineapple Mango Chipotle Salsa(a gift from a family member - hint! hint!) - and it goes without saying, avocado slices or cubes or guacamole! :) As well as, the seasonings that it might need.
- 1 small green peppers or 1 small yellow pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, minced (do not wash)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic
- salt, to taste (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 2 -3 pinches crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley (add at the end so it doesn't lose its color) or 2 tablespoons cilantro (add at the end so it doesn't lose its color)
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat cream cheese (tub style) or 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat chive & onion cream cheese (tub style) or 1⁄3 cup cream cheese with vegetables (tub style)
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 10 flour tortillas
- pace organic picante salsa (optional) or pace pineapple mango chipotle salsa (optional)
- light sour cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large nonstick skillet cook sweet peppers & onion in 1 teaspoon of the oil for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add minced mushrooms & cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder & garlic powder.
- Cook and stir for 1 minute more; set aside.
- Spread cream cheese over half of 1 side of the tortilla.
- Top with pepper & mushroom mixture.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
- Stir in parsley or cilantro. (To preserve color - also ass at the end).
- Fold tortilla in half over peppers, pressing gently.
- Place tortillas on an ungreased large baking sheet. Brush tortillas with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil.
- Bake in a 425F degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
- Serve warm.
- If desired, pass the salsa & sour cream.