Recipe by lizzistardust
A chilli-like vegetarian tortilla soup. Tasty, filling, cheap, high protein, healthy, and amazingly easy. This is my own vegetarian (and less wicked-hot) version of a great recipe that circulated around my family. It's so easy. I'm the "cook from the box" type and it's really a cinch, even for me. It makes a huge amount of soup, so it's a great idea to freeze some. Go generic with all of the canned ingredients and this stuff costs next to nothing! If you prefer your soup hot hot hot, add a can of chilies. As this recipe is extremely flexible, don't worry if you can't find any of these ingredients in the exact size cans mentioned. I seem to pick up different sizes everytime, and it never causes any proplems. Can easily be vegan, as long as you pick the right fake meat.
- 1 lb vegetarian ground beef (try Morningstar's Veggie Crumbles)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) canchopped tomatoes and green chilies or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetarian broth (or V8, in a pinch)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Put"ground beef" in a very large pot on the stove and sort of stir it to let it thaw.
- Without draining any except for the hominy, add all of the canned ingredients to the pot and stir.
- Stir in the dry taco seasoning and ranch dressing.
- Cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve hot.