Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans plum tomatoes
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- In a soup pot, heat oil and add tortilla strips. Cook until slightly crisp, remove from oil, and set aside.
- In blender, place garlic, onion, and jalapeno. Chop. Put chopped garlic mixture in soup pot, add in slightly crisp tortillas, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cumin. Slowly pour in broth and simmer until reduced 1/3.
- Puree the soup extremely well until very smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with additional tortilla crisps, avocado, cheese, cilantro, and onion.
Join The Conversation