Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These Vegetarian sloppy joes are the best. They look and taste like the original just minus the meat. You can also substitute the mushrooms for meat for a traditional version. For an instructional video go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK7Swu0xVQ4
- 1 lb portabella mushroom cap
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Chop Mushrooms into small piece and add to a pot on med heat which is sprayed with cooking spray and let cook for 5-7min
- Add Garlic, Onion, Peppers and season with salt and pepper, cook 5-7min.
- Make sauce by adding Tomato Sauce, Brown Sugar, Vinegar and Worcestershire to a bowl and mixing together.
- Add Tomato Paste to veggies and let cook 1-2 minute.
- Add sauce as let cook and thicken for 2 minute.
- Add Thyme and Red pepper flakes.
- Serve on a bun with chopped pickles.
Delicious! I served over an English muffin for a nice supper. I halved the recipe for just me and have enough for lunch tomorrow! Thanks! Made for the PAC event in the contests/event forum.