These Vegetarian sloppy joes are the best. They look and taste like the original just minus the meat. You can also substitute the mushrooms for meat for a traditional version. For an instructional video go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK7Swu0xVQ4
- 1 lb portabella mushroom cap
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Chop Mushrooms into small piece and add to a pot on med heat which is sprayed with cooking spray and let cook for 5-7min
- Add Garlic, Onion, Peppers and season with salt and pepper, cook 5-7min.
- Make sauce by adding Tomato Sauce, Brown Sugar, Vinegar and Worcestershire to a bowl and mixing together.
- Add Tomato Paste to veggies and let cook 1-2 minute.
- Add sauce as let cook and thicken for 2 minute.
- Add Thyme and Red pepper flakes.
- Serve on a bun with chopped pickles.
Delicious! I served over an English muffin for a nice supper. I halved the recipe for just me and have enough for lunch tomorrow! Thanks! Made for the PAC event in the contests/event forum.