Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Molasses-y tart baked beans for my vegetarian wife. Great for picnics and quick dinners served with buttered toast.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans great northern beans
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- fresh ground pepper
- In large frying pan, Sweat onions, pepper and garlic in butter and olive oil on low heat.
- Add Great Northern Beans and heat.
- Add ketchup, liquid smoke, vinegar and molasses.
- Stir and simmer 30 minutes.