Recipe by Miss Annie in Indy
Only 3 main ingredients, the rest are seasonings. Found this recipe on SouthBeachDiet@groups.msn.com, and I thought it was easy and pretty tasty so I would share. I also tweeked a bit. This is an excellent recipe for Phase 1, or for that matter for anyone needing a quick dish.
Top Review by GaylaV
This is a terrific soup. I am not sure that it was intended to be a soup but I added enough V8 for it to be a hearty soup. I did have a couple of changes. I subbed pork and beans for the chili beans as that is what I had on hand. I added in 2 tblsp. of chili sauce to make up for the difference. My husband has a thing about cumin so left it out and decreased the chili powder due to using the chili sauce. I thought it needed a little colour so added in about 1/2 cup of frozen corn which turned out to be a nice addition. I topped the servings with sour cream. My son thought it was a bit spicy but ate his serving, my husband and I both thought it was great. I am surprised that there are not many more reviews for this super easy, fast, hearty and very tasty soup. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained I mash about half the can of beans, it makes the chili thicker)
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, do not drain (your choice of mild, med or hot)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion garlic and basil (do not drain)
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 3 tablespoons onion powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 -2 cup V8 vegetable juice or 1 -2 cup water, or both (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 10 ingredients in a pot.
- Add V8 or water to make the chili as thin as you like.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for aprox 30 minutes.
- This makes about 6 one cup servings.
- May be served with grated cheese or other condiments of choice on top.