1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Mushroom and Brown Rice Dolmas
1 hr 20 mins
First of all let me tell you what dolmas are . Dolmas are grape leaves traditionally stuffed with a mixture of rice and meat and then cooked. They are a Middle Eastern and Mediterranean specialty and are served as appetizers. The vegetarian ones are usually served cold and the ones with meat warm. I prefer them warm and served as a main dish with a tasty sauce on top. If you are vegan you can try a tomato based sauce and if you are vegetarian some sour cream (+ garlic - optional) on top will make these dolmas just perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 40 -50 grape leaves
- 1 cup brown rice (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- 800 g mushrooms (I used Portobello)
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1For the filling:
- 2Grind the mushrooms and onion in your food grinder and then set aside (You can use you food processor if you don't have a food grinder).
- 3Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat.
- 4Add the mushroom and onion paste into the saucepan and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- 5Add the rice (drained) along with an additional 1 cup of water. Stir and let the mixture boil for 10 minutes or until almost all excess liquid is absorbed. It doesn’t need to be cooked, it just has to absorb all of the excess water. Add spices.
- 6Remove from heat and add chopped parsley. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- 7For the wrappers and assembly:.
- 8Separate the grape leaves and make the rolls adding about 1 Tablespoon of filling into each roll.
- 9See here how you can make the rolls.
- 10Take a large pot and line the bottom with some grape leaves.
- 11Put the assembled rolls in the pan on top of the grape leaves. Arrange them around the pan until the pan is full.
- 12Add the bay leaves.
- 13Cover with remaining grape leaves.
- 14Add water until all rolls are covered.
- 15Place in oven at 392FËš for 1 hour. Check every 20 minutes and add more water if necessary. 15 minutes before it’s ready, add the tomato paste and finish cooking.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Mushroom and Brown Rice Dolmas
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.5
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 308.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g