Recipe by hlkljgk
This is the vegetarian version of an east Indian soup. I find it very comforting with rich, complex flavor.
Top Review by D Rusak
Easy cheap recipe! Only changes I made- didn't have a potato, used an entire can of coco milk and no shredded coconut, and added some extra water and 3/4 c of lentils (HAVE to have lentils in mulligatawny soup).
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil (or traditionally, ghee)
- 1 small chili, seeded and chopped (or a pinch of cayenne)
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 14.79 ml coriander
- 946.36 ml vegetable stock
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 118.29 ml unsweetened grated coconut
- 236.59 ml coconut milk
- 29.58 ml lemon juice or 29.58 ml lime juice
- 9.85 ml cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, saute the onions in the ghee for 5 minutes.
- Add chili, turmeric and coriander.
- Saute for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the stock and the vegetables.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Add the coconut, coconut milk and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add lemon juice and cilantro.
- The longer this soup sits, the better its flavor.
- Re-heat gently before serving.