Recipe by daisygrl64
Prep your veggies ahead, and you'll have a delicious soup in 30 minutes. Note: Do not use broth in this recipe, because the cinnamon produces the flavor. This can been done in your Crock Pot.
Top Review by Starrynews
Really nice soup! The flavor from the bay leaf and cinnamon stick was wonderful! I cooked it on the stovetop, and it came out perfectly. I omitted the salt (personal preference) and included the red pepper flakes. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (or use your favorite bean)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup elbow macaroni (or your favorite small pasta)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- In dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- add onions, carrots, celery, garlic,cumin,salt, hot pepper flakes.
- saute until onions are soft.
- add water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium.
- add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, beans, bay leaves, cinnamon, paprika.
- simmer for 10 minutes covered.
- add pasta, stir, cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- before serving, give it a good stir.
- remove bay leaves, and cinnamon stick.
- serve with bread.