Prep your veggies ahead, and you'll have a delicious soup in 30 minutes. Note: Do not use broth in this recipe, because the cinnamon produces the flavor. This can been done in your Crock Pot.
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (19 ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed (or use your favorite bean)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup elbow macaroni (or your favorite small pasta)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- In dutch oven heat oil over medium heat.
- add onions, carrots, celery, garlic,cumin,salt, hot pepper flakes.
- saute until onions are soft.
- add water and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium.
- add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, chickpeas, beans, bay leaves, cinnamon, paprika.
- simmer for 10 minutes covered.
- add pasta, stir, cover and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- before serving, give it a good stir.
- remove bay leaves, and cinnamon stick.
- serve with bread.