Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is from Venturesome Vegetarian Cooking. It turned out very well, just like meatloaf but better. I made this with red wine since I didn't have any Scotch on hand. The rosemary, nuts, and soy sauce really made the dish, so don't substitute those ingredients! When I make this the next time, I will add different herbs.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup red lentil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup kidney bean
- 3⁄4 cup mixed nuts, ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 pinch cayenne
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup scotch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Saute the onions, carrot and mushrooms until tender.
- Add the red lentils and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Add the kidney beans, nuts, spices, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil again.
- Simmer 10 minutes, covered.
- Sit in oatmeal, Scotch, and water.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Oil 8 ramekins or muffin pan (18 muffins) or a loaf pan.
- Fill ramekins, muffin pan, or loaf pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes (longer for a loaf pan). Remove the foil and bake 5 more minutes, uncovered.
We made this recipe for dinner last night and thought it was good. It was especially nice because I had all of the ingredients on hand. While I liked it, there are some other vegetarian loaf recipes we like more. However, this recipe is definitely healthier than the loafs I typically enjoy. I did use scotch in this recipe. I served with parsnip and potato mash. A tasty autumn meal. Thanks!
We love this recipe. Notes: Before adding the oats, get out your stick blender and pulse the mixture a few times for better texture. I use whiskey instead of scotch, since I don't like scotch.
It's a shame that this recipe has been given such a disgusting name--it's far better than the name implies.
Sriraccha sauce (hot chile) is fab on this if you want some heat to it. Ain't nothing wrong with that.
I had this for dinner and it tasted very good. However I was concerned that the recipe did not specify that the beans and lentils should be cooked before using. I think they should be, as the kidney beans did not seem done enough to me. Next time (and there will be a next time), I will cook the beans ahead of time or possibly use canned beans.