Delightful for meateaters and vegetarians! Full bodied red wine gives this color and flavor. Top with toasted baguette and cheese of your choice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Begin by slicing your onions to the thickness of your preference.
- 2In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- 3When oil is hot add onions and cook until soft.
- 4Add the garlic and sugar and continue to cook. You will need to stir frequently. Continue cooking for approximately 20 minutes or until the onions are an amber color.
- 5Stir in flour and cook 2-3 minutes while tossing the onions.
- 6Start to add the broth. You may need to wisk to keep the flour from lumping up.
- 7Bring to a boil.
- 8Stir occasionally, watch for soup to thicken. If soup does not thicken appropriately mix approximately another tablespoon of flour with enough water to make a runny paste and whisk into soup.
- 9Add wine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 10Reduce heat to low setting and cover.
- 11Let simmer 10 minutes and it will be ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian French Onion Soup Au Vin
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.8
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 7.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 1.9 g