Recipe by Wasyetz
Delightful for meateaters and vegetarians! Full bodied red wine gives this color and flavor. Top with toasted baguette and cheese of your choice.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups red wine, dry
Directions See How It's Made
- Begin by slicing your onions to the thickness of your preference.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- When oil is hot add onions and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and sugar and continue to cook. You will need to stir frequently. Continue cooking for approximately 20 minutes or until the onions are an amber color.
- Stir in flour and cook 2-3 minutes while tossing the onions.
- Start to add the broth. You may need to wisk to keep the flour from lumping up.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally, watch for soup to thicken. If soup does not thicken appropriately mix approximately another tablespoon of flour with enough water to make a runny paste and whisk into soup.
- Add wine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low setting and cover.
- Let simmer 10 minutes and it will be ready to serve.