Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from a church cookbook that was compiled by the ladies of the church using their favorite family recipes. I make it often and my family loves it. It is a break from the usual vegetarian loaf recipes and easier to take to potlucks etc. You can take the sauce with you in a tupperware container and add it just before you put it in the oven. I recently tried this a different way with the sauce and it was delicious. I sliced about 5 very large white button mushrooms, finely diced half a large onion and then sautéed them together until cooked down and soft. Then, I drained them on paper towels. After that, I folded them into the soup/sour cream/ milk mixture. Then, poured it all over the top of the fried patties. Baked for 30 minutes. So good. We liked them this way so much better than the regular way.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cottage cheese (creamed style)
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ (found in nutritional section of stores)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelopefrom pkg. of lipton dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup ground nut meal (I use walnut but any that you like will do)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 8 ounces sour cream, to mix with the soup
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Dice onions finely and grind nuts in blender or food processor.
- Beat eggs into a large bowl.then stir in cottage cheese, oats, wheat germ, dry onion soup mix, italian seasoning, nuts and onions.
- Form into patties and fry in heated skillet in oil until brown on both sides.
- Place patties in 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix soup, sour cream and 1/2 soup can of water or milk then pour over patties.
- Bake until hot and bubbly about 30 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amazing and easy to prepare. I didn't change a thing and made two meals out of this. The first just as directed and the other as "meatballs". Just spooned them into hot olive oil and cooked till browned! Added them to my pasta sauce to soften. Absolutely wonderful dish.