Prep 1 min
Cook 2 hrs
This is my mother's recipe made vegetarian. She and her friends used to make these for parties and has always been a favorite of her kids. I make these every Halloween as I had a craving for them one Halloween many years ago and subsequently made them every year since, making a tradition out of it. People go nuts for these, veggies and carnivores alike. They are ridiculously simple to make and very rewarding. You can use frozen or homemade meatballs. I am posting her original recipe except for the meat and I offer a lesser amount of sugar although her recipe calls for the higher amount.
- 2 lbs small vegetarian meatballs (or halved regular sized ones)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 -2 cup brown sugar
- Pour chili sauce, beer & sugar into a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir well for all ingredients to combine thoroughly. Once a bit bubbly, reduce heat to low and add meatballs. Gently stir and let simmer on low, stirring occasionally for several hours or until sauce becomes very thick. The longer it cooks the more flavorful the meatballs become. Serve with toothpicks.
- *If you do not have chili sauce you can use 1 12 oz. bottle of ketchup plus 1-2 teaspoons chili powder to taste.
- **You can also use a jar of jelly(grape, currant, apple etc.) in replace of some of the sugar for a little more complex flavor.