Recipe by BelovedRooster
You thought this was a distant memory.... Add vegetarian sausage (Field Roast is good!) for greater authenticity.
Top Review by LunaBu
Either the recipe proportions were wrong, or this is a crazy recipe. It calls for way too much rice and onions. I am not totally sure what gumbo is supposed be like, but this turned out to be tons of gooey rice with veggies mixed in. The flavor was not bad, but it was not an appealing dish. And now I have TONS of leftovers.
- 3 cups white rice, uncooked
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups corn
- 2 cups collard greens, chopped
- 1 cup okra
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (use vegetarian, regular has anchovies in it)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (wear gloves!)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 -3 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place rice in a large roasting pan or casserole dish and pour stock over it. Combine remaining ingredients and place over rice in the roasting pan. Cover and cook for one hour.
- Uncover and stir. Replace cover and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Stir and check to see rice if rice is done. If necessary, cook for another 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.