Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
It is easy to make. You may use any vegetable.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons cashew nuts
- 2 red chilies
- 4 tablespoons couscous (soaked in water overnight)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (better if you can get Birayani masala or spice)
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste (grated)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste (grated)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups mangoes (cubed pieces)
- 12 pieces potatoes, 1-inch pieces deep fried (optional)
- 2 cups rice
- 6 medium tomatoes
- lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup saffron milk (roast saffron and add to to lukewarm milk and stand for 5 hrs)
- Fry onions in 2 tbs oil until brown.
- Mix 1/2 the fried onions, cous-cous, raisins, Cashew nuts, red chillies,tomatoes and grind into a paste in grinder.
- Heat 2 Tbs oil and fry cumin seed for 1 minute.
- Now add rest of whole dry spices, salt and garlic & ginger paste. Cook for further 1 minute. Add yogurt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the paste from grinder, cumin powder and garam masala and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Fold in the mango and potato pieces.
- Boil 2 cups rice in salted water (do not over cook, under cooked will be fine).
- Now layer some rice in oven tray. Sprinkle all over some of the saffron milk and lemon juice.
- Add a layer of cooked sauce. Add layer of rice. Again sprinkle saffron milk and lemon juice. You may add as many layers as you like. On the final rice layer add the other 1/2 of fried browned onions all over. Cover with lid or foil and cook for 30 min on gas mark 5.