Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted recipe from Gourmet Magazine.
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 large leek, washed, trimmed, and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, quartered (organic)
- 1 bunch celery leaves (from the heart of the organic bunch)
- 2 carrots, trimmed and quartered
- 1 turnip, trimmed and quartered
- 3 tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, including stems (crimini)
- 6 parsley sprigs (Italian)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 quarts water (purified)
- In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Partially cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Cool stock.
- Strain and discard solids.
- Refrigerate or freeze.