This is a very good vegetarian dish with lots of flavor. A recipe from one of my Eating Well Magazines. Enjoy it.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb new potato, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt (optional)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and beginning to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom and cayenne. Cook stirring until fragrant, for about 30 to 60 seconds. Add potatoes, water and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and carrots; stir to combine. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer partially covered, stirring occasionally and adding 1/2 cup water, if needed, until the potatoes and the carrots are tender for about 30 to 35 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve with yogurt, if desired.
- Nutrition Per serving: 264 Calories; 4 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Cholesterol; 51 g Carbohydrates; 9 g Protein; 10 g Fiber; 604 mg Sodium; 997 mg Potassium 3 Carbohydrate Serving Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat.