Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
My Mom used to make this soup for us when we were growing up. It calls for 1/2 cup fine pasta but she always dumped a lot more pasta in than what was called for :) Serve with lots of parmesan cheese, we loved it!
- 5 -6 cups beef broth or 5 -6 cups beef stock
- 1 (1 lb) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery & leaves, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup fine pasta
- 2 slices dry bread or 2 slices toast
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- grated parmesan cheese
- Heat beef broth to boiling. Add veggies and oregano and simmer 12 minutes.
- Add pasta to bubbling soup; cook until pasta is almost done. Drop tiny meatballs into soup; simmer 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with grated paremsan cheese.
- Mini meatballs: Soak 2 slices dry bread or toast in water; squeeze out moisture.
- Lightly mix bread with 1 lb ground beef, egg, garlic and salt.
- Form in 3/4 inch balls using 1 teaspoon mixture for each.
- Brown in butter - Makes 5 dozen.
I made this soup but added one package of frozen spinach. I wanted more veggies in my soup. And then I topped my soup with feta cheese and it was delicious. I will make this again.
This was a delicious soup! We had a competition going on who could make the smallest meatballs. Left out the Parmesan cheese at the end, but didn't miss it at all.
This soup is great. I did add more broth and that increased the servings. The meatballs are really good. I will definitely make this recipe often.