Recipe by kolleen1021
This recipe was given to me by the mother of a vegetarian friend of mine. We had the pleasure of attending her family's Seder and this was one of the dishes her mother prepared for her. I enjoy this as is, but don't be mistaken, this is NOT a sweet kugel. My friend's mother told me that you can add 1/2 cup of sugar to the mix before baking if you prefer something a bit sweeter or if you're using a particulary tart apple. Regardless, this makes a delicious side dish with your Passover meal or you can eat the whole pan by yourself all year round like I do :-)
- 1 cup apple, peeled and grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup matzo meal
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease or spray a 10 inch cake pan/casserole dish with oil. This may also be split into lined ungreased muffin tins for handy servings.
- Mix all ingredients together well. I use the food processor's shred setting to speed up the veggie prep.
- Pour mixture into the baking dish/muffin pan, cover with foil, and bake for 45 minutes (30 for muffins).
- Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees and remove foil. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve hot!