Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Manju Malhi's Food and Drink and the BBC Food Website
- 5 ounces green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 1⁄2 ounces carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 pinch garam masala
- 2 -3 ounces potatoes, parboiled and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 ounce peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 pinch coriander powder
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon creamed coconut
- 1⁄2 green chili, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 fresh garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat setting.
- To check that the oil is hot enough, sprinkle in a few mustard seeds, if they pop the oil is ready. Then add the remainder of the mustard seeds and the onion.
- Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the chill, garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the garam masala, salt, cumin and coriander powder to the frying mixture for a further minute.
- Add the carrots, then 2 minutes later, the beans then after another 2 minutes add the peas.
- Stir fry for another minute and finally add the potatoes. Stir for a further minute.
- Mix in the coconut and 10fl oz of hot water. Cover with a lid and simmer on very low heat for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is fairly thick. The korma should be medium brown in colour.