Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
modified from ppk
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated peeled fresh zucchini
- 1 ripe banana, mashed well
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon stevia
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup ground walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In medium sized mixing bowl, combine zucchini, bananas, oil, vanilla, applesauce.
- In large bowl, combine all remaining ingredients except chocolate.
- Add wet mixture to dry, mix well and add chocolate chips. Pour into lightly greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes, until toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool upright 15 minutes, then invert onto cooling rack.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes before tasting. Enjoy!
So I didn't LOVE this. It was good, but for me the texture was too gelatanous and not even enough. It had a firm crust, and definately cooked thoroughly, but it was a bit jelly-like in texture on the inside. Could have been from the applesause. I used a tablespoon of sugar in place of the stevia, but otherwise followed the recipe to a "T". It just wasn't a wow for me, but it definately okay tastewise, just not texture-wise (for me) and definately didn't taste as healthy as it was. It tasted a bit like a "raw" cake. A bit chocolately. Cooked up beautifully, though. And would have made a great presentation, if it hadn't have fallen some after cooling. I also refridgerated before serving (overnight) so that may also have been a problem, though I couldn't imagine eating this hot, we did have it both warm (reheated) and cold and it went over MUCH better cold. I served it with the Dairy Free Coconut Rice Pudding http://www.recipezaar.com/59902 which seems to have been a good compliment. My vegan guest, on the other hand LOVED this cake and so did my husband who is not so health consious and had a delicious homemade cheesecake (his favorite)in the fridge. He actually passed on that cake to eat this one. He would have given this another star for sure. Another diner commented that this had a "layered flavor" as delicate layers seemed to naturally form in the cake.
It came out like rubber and had no flavor :(