1 hr 30 mins
Paul in Ohio's Note:
My wife is a vegetarian but was sick one day and was craving some soup. This is what I came up with. I've found that the smaller you chop the seitan, the better the results. This recipe is vegan, but I've also made it for myself substituting with one can of canned chicken, 5 cans chicken stock, and 2 tablespoons of butter and it turned out great, too. If you can't locate vegan noodles, the shirataki noodles make a great substitute, but remember to rinse them in water and slice them in half with scissors before adding to the soup. The cayenne pepper really helps with a stuffy nose, but can be safely omitted without sacrificing flavor. As with all recipes, taste throughout, adjust spices if needed as dry spices lose their potency over time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (8 ounce) packages seitan, chopped (Wheat gluten)
- 5 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped (more or less to taste)
- 8 ounces amish-style noodles or 8 ounces shirataki noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons grill chicken seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried bouquet garni (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 1Bring 2 tbsp of oil and margarine to medium heat in a large pot.
- 2Add celery, carrots, onions and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- 3Add chopped Seitan to the vegetables and 1 tbsp of the grill chicken seasoning, then saute for about 10 minutes more over medium heat, until onions are opaque and carrots are soft. (This step is important, don't under cook the vegetables!).
- 4Slowly pour in vegetable stock, then add noodles, bay leaves, parsley, garlic powder, and the rest of the grill chicken seasoning. Also, if desired, add cayenne pepper and/or bouquet garni.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and cover, cooking for about 30 to 45 minutes. Stir frequently. It's important that all of the dry spices have time to soften and season the broth, so extend cooking time if needed.
- 6Remove bay leaves, then serve.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegan Mock Chicken Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (512 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.7
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.9 mg
- Sodium 108.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: