Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Limited mess made in the pan chocolate cake. Easy to make and VERY tasty.
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- USE AN 8 INCH SQUARE GLASS BAKING PAN.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Put into a square glass baking pan the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, and baking soda.
- Mix slowly taking turns with a spoon and a fork. Mix until it is completely light brown. (Peek through the bottom of the GLASS pan).
- Make 4 dents with a spoon, 2 large and 2 small.
- Pour 1 cup of water into one large dent.
- Pour 1/3 Cup of oil into the other large dent.
- Pour 1 tsp of vinegar into a small dent.
- Pour 1 tsp of vanilla extract into another small dent.
- Start stirring (slowly) with A FORK.
- When it turns into batter mash it down with a fork (then scrape the bottom, stir and repeat the process a few times).
- Smooth out the cake.
- Put into the oven for 30 minutes.
This is essentially the same recipe for the 6 minute chocolate cake in the Moosewood Desserts cookbook. I've made this cake twice and am amazed at how moist and delicious it is. Sure, there are even better chocolate cakes out there, but you can't beat this if you're looking for a quick chocolate fix.