Recipe by The Easy Vegan
A rich and wonderfully moist cake, and yet delightfully healthy (minus the ganache :) ). The best part? It's so easy!!, yet looks so professional.The pumpkin doesn't factor in much flavor but gives richness and makes the cake soft and oh so melt-in-your-mouth. Feel free to adjust spices as needed, I'm a cinnamon fiend, or top with your favorite frosting (or even omit it for a breakfast cake).
Top Review by minithecat
A word of warning. This has NO sugar in the cake. The sweetness will depend on your chips and frankly, they won't carry it. Use sugar to taste and if dry add a bit of soy milk or water to get to a good cake consistency. Cocoa is extremely bitter sometimes and Vegan chips may or may not be sweet. Not all chips are Vegan please make sure about yours. If you want to make it be prepared to add sugar and soymilk to the mix.
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds or 2 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350, grease or spray a 9x9 pan.
- Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler (or in the microwave for 30 sec. intervals, stirring after each 30 seconds until melted) in a medium bowl.
- Stir in pumpkin, vanilla, oil and flaxseed to the melted chocolate.
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves) until well combined, and stir in wet ingredients.
- Spread evenly into the pan (batter will be thick) and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool.
- Ganache: melt margarine and soymilk in a small bowl (either in the microwave or on a double boiler). Stir in chocolate chips and continue heating until melted and smooth.
- Spread over cake when cake is cooled, refrigerate cake if you want ganache to set (or dig in for melty chocolate-y heaven :D).