Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
A simple, tasty brown rice pudding for the everyday vegan found on: http://www.veganchef.com/ricepudding.htm
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup brown rice syrup or 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a medium saucepan, place the water, and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 35 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, and continue to cook the mixture over low heat until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and place the pudding in the refrigerator to chill.
- Top individual servings with a little additional cinnamon before serving, if desired.
This really is pretty bad. Nobody would eat it. I hate to waste food, so I used it in a banana bread recipe. I just substituted 1 1/2 cups of the rice pudding for the 3-4 mashed bananas. I also used half of the sugar and added chopped pecans. It was delicious.
I dont understand how there are positive reviews (maybe they never had rice pudding before). This was so disgusting. The texture was awful -super coarse and thick. I followed the instructions in every way, and I found it weird that it tells you to boil until the liquid had completely evaporated. Doesn't make sense, felt like I was eating overcooked oatmeal. I wouldn't be ranting so much if it wasn't so bad. Sucks I wasted rice on this.
This is very yummy, but once I added in the calories for the brown rice syrup and the almond milk, it came to 444 calories per serving. I've got to tinker with it to bring down the calories.