Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you were to use this in a BLT sandwich and replaced the bacon with it, you would never know the difference! My kids are bacon lovers, but now they prefer this. It doesn't look quite like bacon but it tastes the same.
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into strips shaped like bacon
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon oil, something neutral, not olive oil
- Fry tofu strips on low heat until they are crispy on the outside. The best way to do this is to lay them in the pan in the oil and let them sit for at least 10 minutes, simmering. They should turn easily after that.
- Turn them and give them another 10 minutes on the other side.
- Mix the soya sauce with the liquid smoke first, then take the pan off the heat.
- Pour the liquid smoke/soya sauce into the pan and stir the tofu so all sides are coated.
- Sprinkle the yeast over all, stir some more, over the heat, until the liquid is gone and the tofu is covered with sticky yeast.
i made this today, and wow! it's amazing how much like bacon it tastes to me! i did have issues with the tofu going soft when i poured on the soy and smoke, and i started with cracker crisp strips of tofu. however, it did crisp back up again with a bit of cooking. i'm a reluctant vegetarian (dr's orders!) and bacon is the thing i miss the most. but boy, this is excellent! and totally satisfied my bacon craving!
Delicious. Just like bacon! I've made these twice. The first time I used plenty of oil to fry the tofu. The second time I didn't use hardly any. You need the oil to get the right texture. So easy to make. We ate them with BLT's and again with vegan mac n' cheese. I could have licked the pan I cooked them in. Thought about it for a second but realized that I would probably burn myself & decided to reserve a bit of dignity.
Excellent! I saw this and wanted to try right away even though I didn't have liquid smoke. I made only a couple of slices until I go to the store for the liquid smoke. I was shocked at how good it was and cooked a panful more. I think the nutritional yeast really adds to the bacon-y taste and I know the liquid smoke will make it even better. I didn't care for any tempeh bacon recipes I've tried and didn't think tofu bacon would work at all. I was so wrong. A great vegan recipe to keep!!!