Recipe by conniecooks
Rich, creamy and very yummy. Use Oven-Ready lasagna noodles--it is much easier.
Top Review by mmoramag
OMG! This lasagna is amazing, I change the milk for Kefir, and it's creamy it's rich it's flavorful! I LOVE it! And went a little cheesier for those who L-O-V-Cheese I sprinkle skim milk 1% fat mozzarella in between layers and on the top not much really may be used 1/2 cup total!
- 3 lbs veal shoulder, cubed or 3 lbs stew meat
- olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces romano cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In 12-inch skillet brown meat in olive oil in batches; set aside.
- Add mushrooms to skillet and saute until golden.
- Return meat to skillet, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes until tender stirring occasionally.
- In 3qt saucepan saute onions and garlic in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook a minute or two.
- Add milk and chicken stock, stirring until thickened.
- Add meat and mushroom mixture, sherry, salt, nutmeg, dried thyme, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- Simmer a few minutes stirring frequently.
- Add cream.
- Spoon a thin layer in bottom of 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Arrange noodles over top lengthwise. Layer in about 1/2 meat mixture.
- Repeat layers ending with noodles.
- Cover dish tightly with foil and bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, and sprinkle with Romano cheese continue baking about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.