Recipe by sams1
An old dutch recipe that still gets made today. I believe the bird reference is because they look like baby birds?
- 4 (50 -75 g) boneless veal steaks, sliced very thin
- 200 g veal, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 100 g butter or 100 g margarine
- 1⁄2 cup veal stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub veal slices with salt.
- Mix the veal mince with pinch of marjoram, pepper, grated nutmeg, onion and parsley.
- Shape the mix into 4 thick rolls and wrap the veal slices around each one, securing with a toothpick.
- Melt the butter and fry the 'birds' until golden brown on all sides.
- Add stock and simmer for about 20 minutes covered.
- Also nice baked in a tomato based pasta sauce.