Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Candy center with fresh butter flavor from Ideal Candy Cookbook
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, broken into little pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dipping chocolate
- Combine sugar, water, and cream of tartar in a saucepan; cover with a tight lid and cook.
- When mixture boils rapidly, remove lid and cook to 238 degrees F.
- Pour out on cold slab and let stand until lukewarm.
- Place butter pieces, salt, and vanilla over the syrup and work with spatula or paddle until fondant is cool and thick.
- Move to a cooler part of the marble slab or other cold surface and let stand until candy is firm, holds its shape and is not sticky.
- Knead for a moment or two until creamy.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store in refrigerator until very firm, then shape into 3/4 inch balls.
- Let stand about 30 minutes before dipping; for best results, dip within 2 hours.
- If kept longer than a week, wrap well and freeze.