Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Great way to cool off on a hot day.
Make and share this Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recipe from Food.com.
- Whisk yolks with sugar and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Split vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Don't discard seeds.
- Combine beans, seeds, half and half and cream in a large saucepan. Bring just to a simmer (don't scorch the milk!).
- Gradually whisk the hot cream into the egg yolk mixture (don't get carried away or you'll end up with cooked eggs -- ick).
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon (DO NOT BOIL!).
- Strain through a seive into a large bowl. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Freeze in icecream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Makes 1 quart.