Recipe by Valerie in Florida
A very traditional, Italian meat sauce that I have adapted from several different recipes to create my own delicious gravy.
Top Review by LouLouIzSpoiled
Now this is excellent sauce! I loved the addition of the pork chops and the other meat blend. This is a really authentic Italian sauce. I did add 1 c. Merlot with 1 c. water in place of the 2 c. water. The wine boosted the flavor even more once I added it, and let it simmer for awhile for the flavors to blend. We loved it! The meatballs were very good, and I know one thing for sure, this sauce will be made often!
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pork chops
- 1 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 4 (28 ounce) canspeeled Italian tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
For the Meatballs
- 2 -3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb extra lean beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground veal
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese or 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 -4 fresh minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS:.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Form into meatballs.
- Heat Canola oil in fry pan at medium.
- Fry meatballs on all sides. Do not overcook as you will continue to cook meatballs in sauce.
- Remove and set aside on some paper towels to absorb some of the fat.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE:.
- Heat 2-Tbsp oil in large heavy pot over medium heat. Brown pork chops on both sides. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Add sausages, brown on all sides and remove from pan.
- Drain most of fat from pot.
- Add garlic and cook for about 2-minutes. Do not burn !
- Add tomatoes with their juices to the pot (I put the tomatoes first in a blender and pulse about three times to break up the tomatoes).
- Add water, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pork, sausages and basil and bring sauce to a simmer.
- Partially cover the pot and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 2-hours.
- After 2 hours, add the meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or so.
- Serve with pasta of choice.