Recipe by Jenny Sanders
A desperate "haven't shopped, clean the fridge" dish which turned out to be well worth doing on purpose. Quick and easy supper for two, but easily doubled.
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons premium oyster sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and dice the potato in 1cm dice, and put it in a well-seasoned or nonstick skillet with about 1 cup of water.
- Simmer until the water is mostly evaporated, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the onion, and dice the celery.
- When the water has evaporated add the turkey, breaking it up small. If it is very lean, you may need to add a little oil.
- Once it has rendered a little fat, add the onion and celery.
- Saute until the meat is no longer pink and the onion and celery are soft.
- Add the peas, ketchup and oyster sauce; mix well.
- Add a quarter cup to half a cup of water to moisten.
- Simmer a few minutes until the vegetables are done.
- Serve over steamed rice.
- I like this quick supper dish even better when served with lots of Vietnamese chile-garlic sauce.
- It is worthwhile getting premium oyster sauce in spite of the price as a little goes a long way and the cheaper ones are mostly water, sugar, salt and cornstarch.