Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A variation of Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. The recipe calls for an oblong baking pan, but I use a 12 inch cast iron chicken frying pan. This is one of those desserts I can't have anymore and don't think it would work with Splenda :) But I can still make it for company!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, peeled and diced
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat sides of 9x13x2-inch baking pan (or 2 8x8-inch pans)with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place pan on low heat on burner and melt margarine in bottom of pan. Remove from burner and spread brown sugar over bottom of pan, dissolving in the melted margarine.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups zucchini and coconut together, layer over brown sugar and pat down gently.
- Mix oil, egg, molasses, and honey; beat.
- Add buttermilk and beat.
- Add dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in 1/2 cup zucchini and pour batter over coconut and spread carefully. Bake for 35-35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Turn out on a platter while hot. Cut into squares. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.