Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The glistening cake gets its rich taste from applesauce and spices instead of butter - Vegetarian Times.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 pears, peeled cored and thinly sliced lengthwise
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush 10-inch cast iron skillet or 8x8-inch glass baking dish with butter.
- To make gingerbread: Whisk flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat egg, sugar and molasses with mixer for 3 minutes. add applesauce and oil, and beat until blended. Fold in flour mixture and yogurt.
- To make pear topping: Press brown sugar over bottom of prepared skillet. Sprinkle with nuts. Arrange pear slices in circles over nuts. Pour batter over pears.
- Bake 35 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Loosen edges with knife. Invert cake onto platter.
I do love the smell & taste of gingerbread, & when combined in your recipe with the pears, it's absolutely wonderful, & although I have it added to my holiday cookbook, I plan on making this several times throughout the year! A definite keeper of a recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC recipe tag]
Easy to prepare and looks and tastes great! Wouldn't change a thing!
delicious and pretty! I used pecans instead of walnuts, greek yogurt, and served with vanilla ice cream