William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is a very easy soup to make. A very nice creamy type soup. Preferably served hot with crackers or a nice home made style bread or a nice fresh sourdough bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Use only the white part and slightly into the light green portion of the leek.
- 2Cut off the darker green portion and discard.
- 3Cut leeks in half lengthwise and then in half again lengthwise.
- 4Separate segments and wash thoroughly.
- 5Chop leaks small.
- 6In a large frying pan, add butter, chopped leeks, chopped onions and saute' until onions and leeks are a very light yellow, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, (DO NOT BURN).
- 7In a large saucepan or cooking pot, measure 4 cups of water, add chicken soup base, potatoes, sautee'd onions and leeks and white pepper.
- 8Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook on medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 9In a food processor or blender, process soup in batches.
- 10Return soup to saucepan and adjust seasonings to taste and heat to boiling.
- 11Add half and half cream, mix well and return just to boil.
- 12Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- 13Garnish with chopped chives or chopped green onions when serving.
- 14This soup may be served hot or chilled.
- 15I prefer to serve this soup hot.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Vichyssoise Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.7
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 105.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.5 g