Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is a very easy soup to make. A very nice creamy type soup. Preferably served hot with crackers or a nice home made style bread or a nice fresh sourdough bread.
Top Review by CountryLady
Even though I substituted 1% milk for the half & half, this soup was delicious! I made no other changes & served it hot with crusty Italian rolls for dunking. Thanx Uncle Bill!
- 2 large leeks (about 1 1/2" diameter)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 4 cups water
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped chives or 4 tablespoons green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Use only the white part and slightly into the light green portion of the leek.
- Cut off the darker green portion and discard.
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise and then in half again lengthwise.
- Separate segments and wash thoroughly.
- Chop leaks small.
- In a large frying pan, add butter, chopped leeks, chopped onions and saute' until onions and leeks are a very light yellow, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, (DO NOT BURN).
- In a large saucepan or cooking pot, measure 4 cups of water, add chicken soup base, potatoes, sautee'd onions and leeks and white pepper.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook on medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a food processor or blender, process soup in batches.
- Return soup to saucepan and adjust seasonings to taste and heat to boiling.
- Add half and half cream, mix well and return just to boil.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with chopped chives or chopped green onions when serving.
- This soup may be served hot or chilled.
- I prefer to serve this soup hot.