Recipe by Carol in Oz
I 'borrowed' this recipe from the tv show 'Everyday Italian with Giada' and it is excellent! You don't miss the crust at all, we actually prefer it without!
Top Review by fredbull1116
Awesome! I usually shy away from making Chicken Parm because of the dipping and breading (Messy, messy, messy)and my daughter isn't fond of crusted stuff. This was very easy and very tasty. I used about 1 and 1/2 jars of marinara sauce because I served it over spaghetti. I also put a slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each chicken piece instead of shredded mozz (my preference). Definitely a keeper. Daughter is having a sleepover tonite and I am making it for the crew.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 -6 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (amount is to taste, I tend to be heavy on the garlic!)
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop basil and rosemary and mix with garlic into olive oil.
- Brush herbs and oil onto chicken breasts and place in hot non-stick frying pan until golden on all sides without burning herbs.
- Line baking dish with foil and spray with 'Pam' or similar product, this makes clean up fast and easy!
- Place browned chicken on baking dish and spread top of chicken generously with tomato sauce.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of ricotta over the tomato sauce.
- Top with 1-2 tablespoons of grated mozzarella an 1-2 teaspoons parmesan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and desired amount of Italian herbs. Just a light sprinkle will do!
- Add 1/2-1 tsp butter to each chicken piece.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes in a hot oven (400c)or until cheese is melted and browned.