Recipe by Lalalauren
My Granny used to make this for every holiday, now my Mom does too! When I was younger I used to throw a fit if my Momma didn't make it! I get such a craving for this I could eat the whole pan. I like to think of this as more of an "Adult" version of the simple Campbell's and French's we're all used too. I sometimes like to add a dash of the paprika to the cream cheese soup mixture just for a little extra flavor. Enjoy!
- 3 (9 ounce) packagesfrozen French style green beans
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (somewhere between a 1/4 to 1/3c, however much onion flavor you like)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt (you can also use fresh garlic to taste and add to the onions)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook green beans according to package directions; drain.
- Melt margarine in a Dutch oven over medium to medium low heat; add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add flour and stir to coat.
- Add soup and cream cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cream cheese is melted, add Cheddar cheese and stir until mixture is smooth and everything is melted.
- Remove from heat; stir in green beans, water chestnuts, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole.
- Top with almonds; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 deg. for 45 minutes.
- *Remember when melting cheeses it is always better to do it low and slow then fast and hot! You want this smooth and creamy not curdled and lumpy!*.