Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Tasty and satisfying roast from Ukraine, with a hint of caraway seeds, served with roast potatoes and pearl onions.
- 1 (3 lb) boneless pork loin, tied
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups white pearl onions
- 12 medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄3 cup beef stock or 1⁄3 cup canned broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- Rub the pork loin with salt, pepper, and caraway seeds and let it stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Drop the onions into boiling water for 1 minute. Rinse under cold running water and drain. Trim off the root ends, then cut and “X” in the root end and peel. Set aside.
- Place the pork loin, fat side up, in a roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
- Scatter the onions and potatoes around the pork and roast, basting with the stock.
- After 1 1/4 hours, prick the roast with a skewer. If the juices run clear, the roast is done. If not, roast another 10 minutes and test again.
- Fifteen minutes before the roast is ready, sprinkle the vegetables with paprika. When done, let the meat stand, covered with aluminum foil, for 15 minutes before carving.
- Carve the meat and arrange on a serving platter, surrounded by the roasted vegetables. Serves 6.