Recipe by Olha
Old-country meat dishes may seem like a lot of work, but the results make the work worthwhile. Always served at holidays, weddings and funerals.
Top Review by steve in FL
I've had this saved in my zaar cookbook for years, but just got around to trying them today, being reminded of it after seeing it reviewed the other day.. stupid me, these are to die for! My Polish family does something similar, calling it 'City Chicken', but the seasonings are different and ours aren't marinated. Excellent recipe. Highly recommended..
- 3 lbs veal
- 3 lbs lean pork
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut veal and pork into 1-inch cubes and place cubes in a large bowl.
- Chop garlic.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, water, wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over meat cubes and stir.
- Marinate meat cubes for at least 3 hours, or overnight, to allow flavours to blend.
- Leaving about 2 inches at the bottom of each skewer, arrange pork and veal cubes alternately on wooden skewers.
- Squeeze cubes together.
- Continue to add meat until all the meat is used. You should fill 12 skewers.
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, curry powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a second shallow bowl, beat eggs.
- Dip skewered meat cubes in breadcrumbs.
- Coat with egg, then dip in crumbs again.
- Gently squeeze sticks with hands to make breadcrumbs flat and sticks more rounded.
- In a large skillet, heat about 1 inch of cooking oil.
- Fry skewers of meat cubes, a few at a time, until meat is lightly browned.
- Combine onions and butter and spread in a large shallow baking dish.
- Place meat sticks on top of onions.
- Bake in a 275 degree Fahrenheit oven for about 45 to 60 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink.