Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
In response to a recipe request, here is a Ugandan version of chicken stew.
- 2 lbs plantains
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs frying chickens, jointed
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and cut in wedges or 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Peel the plantains and place in a steamer or a saucepan with a rack in the bottom. Add water, leaving the bananas above the level of the water. Add salt and pepper. Bring contents to boiling point; reduce heat and steam bananas until soft.
- Lift bananas from the liquid and mash well. Place in top of double saucepan over simmering water until ready to serve with Chicken stew.
- To make Chicken stew:
- Fry Chicken in hot oil in a heavy sauté pan until brown. Add onions, tomatoes, potatoes, salt, pepper and water. Cover tightly and simmer for about 1 hour, or until Chicken is tender.
- Pour Chicken stew over plantains.
Passed the test!!! - my DH (dear hubby) is from Uganda and generally likes my American Soul Food cooking. Yet, you can always tell he misses his native dishes by the way he excitedly licks the plate clean when we eat at his sister's house. Its a battle to keep both him and the kids happy about the same meal so I gave this a try. NAILED IT! I changed the recipe a little....seasoned the chicken with adobo, cumin, and pepper, and left the skin on. I doubled the plantains and made sure they were ripe. DH and the kids ask for this so much that I make a batch every week and leave it in the fridge to be picked on.
excellent recipe! I made this with one cut up chicken, one green plantain, 4 cut up potatoes,1 large onion, added slice carrots and 1 can tomatoes. I sprinkled the whole thing with everglades all purpose seasoning ( instead of salt and pepper). I baked it all in a clay pot ( 375F x 2 hours). Made for ZW7