Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In response to recipe requests - Ground nuts (like peanuts) are an important part of the diet. They are roasted, pounded to a pulp and then made into a sauce which may be used with meat or vegetables. Here is a recipe using peanut butter, which you might like to try.
- 450 g stewing beef
- 6 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 450 g ripe tomatoes (chopped) or 400 g tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 fresh chili peppers
- 450 g carrots (or a mixture of carrots, turnips and courgettes)
- 1 pinch mixed herbs
- 2 1⁄2 cm piece fresh ginger, grated or 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- salt and black pepper
- Remove seed from chillies and chop them finely.
- Mix them with the peanut butter, ginger, herbs, vegetables and tomatoes.
- Place meat in a saucepan with a tight fitting lid and add the vegetable mixture and some seasoning.
- Put on the lid and cook very gently for about one and a half hours or until the meat is tender.
- Don't worry about the lack of liquid because the meat and vegetables will make enough.
Oooh, very yummy! My whole family, plus one dinner guest, all gave this 5 stars. I used the dried ginger option, and used a large can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes. Since nobody in my family except me appreciates spicy food, I used sweet red bell pepper (capsicum) in place of the chillies, and added chili paste to my own serving only. I also used dry berbere spice mix in place of the "mixed herbs." This was outstanding! Thanks, Elmotoo! Made for ZWT4.