Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
All You December 2011 Magazine
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere, grated
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil. Mist a 3 quart shallow microwave and oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine sage and thyme in a small bowl. In baking dish, layer 1/3 of potatoes and sweet potatoes, alternating the slices. Sprinkle with 1/3 of herb mixture and 1/3 each salt and pepper. Repeat layering 3 times.
- Combine half-and-half and broth and pour over potatoes. Place dish on baking sheet and cover with foil. Bake 50 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with cheese and bake until golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes longer. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.