Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
It used to be that all party tables would include a jellied mold or aspic. This delicious molded shrimp ring makes a lovely summer main dish platter. Feel free to substitute crab, if you wish. Cooking time is refrigeration time. From an old newspaper clipping
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans shrimp, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons plain gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, boiling
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 3⁄4 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons pimiento, chopped
- mixed salad green
- Oil or spray a 4 1/2 or 5 cup ring mold.
- Arrange shrimp in prepared mold; chill while preparing gelatin.
- Combine gelatin, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Add water; stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Add 1 1/4 cups cold water, vinegar, and lemon juice.
- Chill one cup of gelatin mixture until it begins to thicken; pour over shrimp.
- Add mayonnaise or salad dressing to remaining gelatin mixture; beat until smooth.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken.
- Fold in vegetables; pour over shrimp layer carefully.
- Chill until firm.
- Unmold onto salad greens.