Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
The classic Chinese Szechuan dish. Serve with rice and cups of steaming hot tea.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean boneless pork loin
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 slice ginger
- 2 star anise
- 3 tablespoons miso
- 3 tablespoons sriracha hot chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, cut into slivers
- 1 cup sliced red bell pepper
- hot steamed rice
- In a large saucepan, place pork, water, soy sauce, slice of ginger, and star anise, and cook, uncovered, over medium heat, for 1 hour.
- Remove pork from liquid and cool thorughly; then slice into thin medallions.
- Mix together miso, sriracha, sherry, vinegar, and sugar, set aside.
- Stir-fry garlic, ginger, and red peppers in wok with oil over high heat for a few seconds, then add onions and pork slices, and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers and cook a few minutes more until the peppers are crisp-tender.
- Add reserved miso sauce mixture and cook until heated through.
- Serve with steamed hot rice.