Sydney Mike's Note:
Twelfth Night or not, these scones can be made & enjoyed anytime of the year! The original of this slightly-tweaked recipe was found in the Pillsbury Holiday Baking 2008 cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SCONES
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup vanilla chip
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, minced
- 1/2 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/3 cup 2% buttermilk
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1FOR THE SCONES: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F & grease a cookie sheet.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda & sale, then with a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir in the cranberries, vanilla chips & the 2 teaspoons of orange zest, before adding the yogurt & the 1/3 cup of buttermilk. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 4Shape dough into a ball, & place it on the prepared cookie sheet. With floured fingers, press or roll the dough into an 8-inch round, then cut the round into 8 wedged, but DO NOT SEPARATE THE WEDGES.
- 5FOR THE TOPPING: Brush the dough with 1 to 2 tablespoons of buttermilk. Then, in a small bowl, mix the 1 tablespoon of sugar with the 3/4 teaspoon or orange zest & sprinkle that over the dough.
- 6Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown. Immediately remove from the cookie sheet & place on a serving tray. Let cool for 5 minutes, then separate the wedges & serve warm.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Twelfth Night Scones
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.8
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 17.9 mg
- Sodium 226.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
non-fat vanilla yogurt