Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From J.M. Hirsch's Venturesome Vegetarian Cooking. Thyme was replaced with fresh oregano; eggplant replaced with zucchini. You'll notice there's another interesting herb added to this recipe... Note: for dairy version, switch out ricotta cheese or cottage cheese for the tofu and add some shredded mozzarella, parmenan, asiago, etc.- (about 3/4 cup cheese).
- 3 medium zucchini, unpeeled
- 16 -20 large pasta shells (suitable for stuffing)
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lavender leaves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh Greek oregano, finely minced
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- Grate the zucchini and set aside.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the shells until al dente, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse pasta with cold water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the grated zucchini in a large mixing bowl. Crumble the tofu and add to the bowl. Add remaining ingredients except for the olive oil and pasta sauce. Mix well.
- Coat a 13"x 9" baking dish with olive oil.
- Fill each pasta shell with approximately 2 tablespoons of the zucchini-tofu filling.
- Arrange the shells, filling side up in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the pasta sauce over the top, allowing some of the sauce to dribble to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil last 5 minutes of baking.
- Serve hot.
YUM!!! This was really great, we loved it. The flavour tasted gourmet w/ the lavendar leaves. I used old fashioned cottage cheese and 'La Molisana' pasta sauce (basil/pomodoro), I also added four mushrooms - minced. I also added parmasan to the top. The extra mushies definitely added moisture to the finished product, but w/ a crusty roll or garlic bread to sop it up, I'd be in heaven! Thanks for the recipe, the best I've had in a while!
I love this recipe. I used Herbs de Provence, that included lavender and the other herbs, in place of the individual herbs.