Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
You'll love the rich Mediterranean flavors in this dish, and the way your kitchen smells while its cooking. It's simpler to prepare than it looks, and it works well even for weeknights. This is in heavy rotation at our house. Adapted from Cooking Light.
- 3 lbs chicken pieces (legs and thighs work best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, torn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Cook bacon in dutch oven until crisp; remove from pan; retain drippings in pan.
- Cook chicken pieces in drippings, 2 minutes each side until lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan; cook 5 minutes until onions are softened.
- Stir in bacon, spinach, rosemary, tomatoes, and beans; remove from heat.
- Arrange chicken on top of spinach mixture; bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- To serve, spoon spinach mixture onto a plate; top with chicken.