Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
These are traditional Iraqi pickles. Pickled veggies are usually served as part of a typical Iraqi meal. The spice mixture in these makes them irresistible. Also, the method used here can be used for other veggies as well.
- 4 lbs pickling cucumbers
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Put the cucumbers in a mason jar or jars.
- In a pot, bring the vinegar, salt, garlic, and spices to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the cucumbers to the top of the jar(s). Seal the jar.
- Pickles will be ready within a week. Just watch for the color change.
These are wonderful! A friend gave me some rather large cucumbers, so I cut them into spears rather than leaving them whole; otherwise, I followed the recipe. What a marvelous earthy flavor and so easy to prepare! I'm thinking that brine would be marvelous with carrots -- hoping to try that next. Thanks so much for posting.